Gwen Burchell visited Azerbaijan in November 1997. She was so inspired by this visit, that she returned in February 1998 to found UAFA, and has been living and working in the country ever since.
Prior to establishing UAFA, Gwen Burchell gained valuable experience working for two non-profit organisations. She worked in the fundraising department for one charity which provides care services for children with terminal illnesses and their families. She also spent two years volunteering for The Samaritans, a charity which provides emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope or at the risk of suicide. Both experiences were very influential in helping Gwen to develop UAFA’s direction and ethical foundation.
Her academic background is a BSc in Management Science (University of Kent, 1994), followed by an MSc in Social Policy & Planning, graduating from LSE in 2009.
Gwen was awarded an MBE by the Queen in 2004 for her services to Special Education in Azerbaijan.
FOUNDER – GWEN BURCHELL MBE (Member of British Empire)
- Born 25 September 1972 in UK; One son born 28 November 2003 in UK
- Graduated from University of Kent in 1994 with BSc in Management Science
- Graduated from London School of Economics in 2009 with MSc in Social Policy & Planning
- Established UAFA in February 1998 with £500 donation from family friends
- Family history in Azerbaijan – father, Michael Burchell, first came to Azerbaijan in 1992 and collaborated with SOCAR on OIL/GAS projects
Gwen Burchell receives an MBE in the New Year’s Honours List for ‘services to special education in Azerbaijan’, and receives the award from the Queen in June 2004.
- Runner-Up of The Influencer Award 2012, given by the Directory of Social Change, UK
- Personally raised nearly $5 million for social investment and much more as in-kind donations – voluntary support, toys & equipment, expert support etc.
- Directly helped thousands of disabled and underprivileged children and families in Azerbaijan