13 regions: 1006 children benefited since 2016
Early intervention is a system of services that children aged from 0-6 years, with a particular focus on 0-3 years. Early intervention focuses on helping babies and young children to learn the basic and brand-new skills that typically develop during the first years of life, such as:
- Physical (reaching, rolling, crawling, and walking);
- Cognitive (thinking, learning, solving problems);
- Communication (talking, listening, understanding);
- Social/emotional (playing, feeling secure and happy); and
- Self-help (eating, dressing)
If a baby or toddler has a disability or a developmental delay in one or more of these areas, that child may need to see a specialist as soon as possible, because it may take them longer to learn basic skills than typical children. Examples of early intervention services:
- Screening and functional assessments
- Individual consultations and group play sessions
- Basic speech and language support
- Counseling and training for a family
- Nutrition advice
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Play therapy
UAFA worked with the Public Health Reforms Department to develop a Clinical Protocol on Early Intervention, which was approved by the Ministry of Health in 2013.
Since 2016, the Early Intervention project in Azerbaijan is implemented by UAFA with the support of the Ministry of Health in 13 regions (Gobustan, Hajigabul, Agsu, Shirvan, Kurdemir, Udjar, Agdash, Yevlakh, Shamkir, Goranboy, Samukh, Tovuz, Aghstafa). The project is the part of the Social Investment Program of South Caucasus Pipeline (SCP). We promote for the replacement of the post-soviet separation and isolation (heritage) with modern, integrated policies.
UAFA's Early Intervention Activities:
- Trainings on Early Detection and Intervention were held in 2005 for Pediatric Polyclinics № 5, 10, 13 in Yasamal District of Baku and for Pediatric Policlinics in Ganja and Khachmaz.
- Early Intervention Center was established in the Pediatric Neurology Hospital in 2007-2010.
- In 2008 we organized the first International Conference on Early Intervention in Baku with participation of experts from the United Kingdom, USA and Georgia.
- In 2011, Working Group organized by the Public Health Reform Center under Ministry of Health and UAFA specialists developed “Clinical Protocol for the detection of children with limited health conditions” for Paediatrics, Neonatologists, Family Physicians, Neurologists and medical staff of Children’s Departments helping them to define developmental delays, prevent or reduce disability in 0-6 year old children.
- Since 2016, “Establishment of Early Intervention Services in Azerbaijan” project is implemented by UAFA with the support of the Ministry of Health in 13 regions (Gobustan, Hajigabul, Agsu, Shirvan, Kurdemir, Udjar, Agdash, Yevlakh, Shamkir, Goranboy, Samukh, Tovuz, Aghstafa). The project is the part of the Social Investment Program of South Caucasus Pipeline (SCP).